Founder, Tinker Kitchen — 2015–Present
Tinker Kitchen is a makerspace for food and cooking based in the Mission District in San Francisco.
- Built world’s first cooking makerspace, a cooking community of hobbyists, food entrepreneurs, and food scientists.
- Featured in the San Francisco Chronicle, CNN's Great Big Story, the Exploratorium, and Maker Faire.
- Oversaw construction from scratch of 1700 sqft commercial kitchen.
- Designed, coded, and maintained all digital touchpoints for the business, including the website in Vue/Node.js, a Vue Native app & QR reader for in-person check-in, integrations with the Stripe API, Square, and other services.
- Hosted highly rated team building events for Facebook, Google, Pinterest, Uber and others.
- Organized varied community events ranging from pop up dinners to art shows to tasting dinners for makers to gather sensory data.
- Managed P&L. Business has turned a profit in <1 year since launch.
Director of Product Strategy, Creative Commons — 2013–2014
- Led effort to define and create new products to sustainably pursue the Creative Commons mission.
- Performed extensive user research on digital content creators, and on K-12 teachers in particular, to understand their habits and workflows around digital content, sharing, and collaboration.
- Oversaw creation of storyboards and prototypes, including Pasteboard—a tool to help teachers remix and reuse digital content on Google Docs while preserving sources and attribution.
- Responsible for IT infrastructure and operation of all Creative Commons digital services.
Product Manager, Identity, Mozilla Corporation — 2010–2013
- Launched Mozilla Persona, a decentralized website sign-in solution. Responsible for concept, vision, strategy, and overall product direction. Grew adoption to thousands of sites in 2013, and identity team to 20+.
- Defined roadmap and feature-set of Mozilla's identity products and features. Developed use-cases and product requirements, built consensus around product direction and priorities.
- Guided user studies and research to understand the needs of developers, website owners, and end users.
- Oversaw creation of experimental prototypes and usability testing.
- Worked with Firefox and services teams to enable Firefox Accounts natively in the browser, to unify browser synchronization, services integration, and Persona website sign-in.
- Worked with Mozilla's leadership and partners to integrate carrier IDs and billing into Firefox OS (Mozilla’s smartphone OS) for its initial launch.
- Created videos and blog posts, gave talks, and met with partners to foster a community, gather requirements, and evangelize our product. Occasionally spoke to press.
Senior Software Engineer, Mozilla Corporation — 2006–2010
- Founding member of Mozilla Labs, focused on services integration into Firefox.
- Designed, prototyped, and led the team which created Weave (now Firefox Sync).
- Updated Firefox bookmarks components to use a modern sqlite store.
- Created automated system for customized Firefox builds, reducing turn-around from weeks to minutes.
Software Engineer, Ximian Inc./Novell Inc. — 2001–2007
- Designed, developed, and maintained software on Linux and UNIX platforms.
Duke University — BS Computer Science, class of 2000
Startup & General Management
- Familiar with startups & investment ecosystem.
- Marketing campaigns: organic, ads, trade shows, etc.
- Sales deal pipelines & prospecting tools.
- General administration: Accounting, payroll, taxes, etc.
- Commercial kitchen design, buildout, and management.
- Design thinking.
- Distilling product requirements and user stories.
- Brainstorming and whiteboarding with all stakeholders.
- Defining go to market strategy and MVP.
- Presentations and public speaking. Some media training.
- Full-stack engineer, proficient in a variety of languages, frameworks and environments.
- Familiar with release processes, bug tracking, and source management.
- Knowledgeable of security and cryptography principles.
- Fluent in English and Spanish, conversational Italian, intermediate Japanese. Collector of kitchen equipment and food science nerd.